19 Sep 10 Most Psychological Figure Skating Olympic Moments of All Time
From victorious triple axels to heartbreaking falls, there are a variety of reasons figure skating is perhaps the absolute most psychological sport at the Winter Olympics.
From the time it became a permanent area of the Winter Games in 1924, the game has established unforgettable moments that live beyond the rink. Whom could forget when 16-year-old Sarah Hughes won the silver medal during the 2002 Olympics, or whenever Nancy Kerrigan took the ice for the very first time after her assault?
In honor regarding the 2018 Winter Olympics, here is a roundup of 10 of the most extremely psychological figure skating moments in Olympic history.
1. 11-year-old Sonja Henie over over and over repeatedly stops her performance to ask her mentor for advice during the 1924 Games
Sonja Henie was simply 11 yrs . old when she made her debut that is olympic at very first Winter Games in Chamonix, France. In line with the official site for the Olympic Games, the skater that is norwegian to quit her performance several times to ask her mentor just just what she have to do next. Also though she completed final, she did not let this deter her from pursuing the gold. In reality, she won a complete of three gold medals while contending during the 1928, 1932 and 1936 Games.
2. John Curry earns the greatest point total in males’s figure skating history in the 1976 Games
Throughout the 1976 Winter Games in Innsbruck, Austria, British skater John Curry skated to Ludwig Minkus’ ballet Don Quixote and won the silver medal. In line with the Olympic web site, he received 105.9 away from 108 points but still holds the greatest point total in guys’s figure skating history. Unfortunately, Curry passed away in 1994 during the chronilogical age of 44.
David Madison/Getty Images
3. Nancy Kerrigan returns to your ice when it comes to 1994 Games after her assault Weeks after Kerrigan suffered an assault that resulted in Tonya Harding’s ban from U.S. figure skating, she came back towards the ice to compete into the 1994 Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway. Kerrigan won the silver medal, dropping behind Oksana Baiul through the Ukraine.
4. Tara Lipinski becomes the youngest athlete to win an event that is individual Winter Games history during the 1998 Olympics
Tara Lipinski won a lot more than a gold medal whenever she competed in the 1998 Olympics in Nagano, Japan. She additionally won the hearts of watchers every-where. The then 15-year-old Lipinski became the youngest athlete to win an individual event in Winter Games history after skating a stunning long program.
STEPHEN JAFFE/AFP/Getty Images
5. Michelle Kwan makes her debut that is olympic at 1998 Games
1998 had been additionally the 12 months Michelle Kwan made her Olympic first. The then 17-year-old athlete had been preferred to conquer Lipinski and offered an amazing performance through the program that is short. After offering a performance that is stellar her long system, Kwan left the ice to attend on her ratings. She broke straight down in rips next to her mentor Frank Carroll as she waited for the outcomes. Kwan finished up using the silver.
Kwan competed for the silver yet again into the 2002 Olympics but won the bronze.
6. Sarah Hughes wins the gold medal in a shock triumph in the 2002 Games
At 16 years of age, Hughes had been the member that is youngest on America’s women’ figure skating team for the 2002 Games in Salt Lake City, Utah. Kwan ended up being yet again favored to win. But, Hughes provided a performance that is incredible wound up tying with Irina Slutskaya from Russia for very very first spot. All of it arrived right down to the judges’ vote. The judges deemed Hughes the winner in a shock success.
7. Canada’s David Pelletier and Jamie Sale share the silver with Russia’s Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze after 2002 Scandal
In accordance with a video that is olympic the scandal, Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze were trying to make Russia’s 11th consecutive silver medal in figure skating pairs in the 2002 Olympics; nonetheless, Canada’s David Pelletier and Jamie Sale threatened that dream. After Pelletier and Sale dropped from their pose that is final during quick system, Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze pulled ahead. All of it came down seriously to the skate that is free. Sikharulidze stumbled a little throughout the performance while Pelletier and Sale executed their routine immaculately. It appeared like Canada would buy the silver. But, once the judges unveiled their ratings, the Canadians were disappointed and shocked to master that they had won silver.
Down the road, French judge Marie-Reine le Gougne confessed to British official Sally Anne Stapleford she was indeed pressured by the French federation to vote for the Russians in return for Russia voting for France in ice dancing. After a study, Global Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge unveiled the 2 groups would share a gold medal that is joint. The pairs held fingers while they accepted their silver medals, together with Olympic judging system ended up being reformed.
8. Yuna Kim sets two documents during the 2010 Games While contending during the 2010 Games in Vancouver, Yuna Kim offered a almost perfect skate performance that is free. She ended up being therefore overcome with emotion that latin women dating she burst into rips. Nonetheless, she ended up being smiling from ear to ear if the judges unveiled she had received a year’s most useful of 150.06. This provided her globe record total of 228.56 points—an quantity nobody happens to be in a position to beat, per Olympic.org. She also became 1st feminine figure skater through the Republic of Korea to win a silver medal.
Paul Gilham/Getty Images
9. Jeremy Abbott completes their performance after a fall that is dramatic the 2014 Games
Jeremy Abbott took a fall that is nasty trying their very very first jump throughout the quick system in the 2014 Games in Sochi, Russia. The United states athlete crashed right into a wall surface and lay on their straight back in discomfort for approximately 10 moments. Nevertheless, he failed to call it quits. Abbott got up and finished their performance, landing three more jumps. The crowd provided him an ovation that is standing he skated off the rink, wincing in discomfort. He scored a 72.58 for the program. Abbott announced their your your your retirement from figure skating in 2017.
10. Evgeni Plushenko bows away as a result of injury and retires during the 2014 Games
After trying a jump through the warm-up for their quick system, Evgeni Plushenko suffered an accident and withdrew through the 2014 Games—forcing him to retire prior to when anticipated. The withdrawal took place after Plushenko assisted Russia win the silver medal into the group occasion. He had additionally won a silver medal at both the 2002 and 2010 Games and a silver medal in the 2006 games.
Stay tuned to NBC to view the Winter Olympics.